Monday, October 19, 2009

Welcome To The Party

This past week I spent a few days in Seattle for work. While I was there I hit up one of my favorite record stores in Jive Time Records and I came across one of the most amazing records I have ever heard in The Har-You Percussion Group's 1969 self-titled LP. This funky Afro-Latin masterpiece has been re-issued I believe a few times, however this record shop had a mint original going for about $600, therefore it's safe to say I didn't buy it. I would say, however, if it went for anything $100, it would be sitting in my apartment right now as I type this. I guess for now, I will settle for a digital copy which you can find in a number of places on the web. Overall this record is solid from start to finish, capturing a "mostly instrumental" collection of material that blend the best of Afro-Cuban, Latin, jazz, and soul-funk grooves together to create a true masterpiece that will definitely stand the test of time. The group was formed by the guidance of Jamaican-born percussionist Roger "Montego Joe" Sanders, who was basically trying to create a music outreach program in Harlem. He brought together, taught, and directed a large Afro-Cuban ensemble made up of young musicians within the community. A pretty amazing story and foundation to maybe one of the greatest records I've ever heard. Enjoy this!

The Har-You Percussion Group - Welcome to the Party


Share on Facebook

1 comment:

Lucy said...

This song is hot! Thanks!