Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Kilimandjaro My Home

Today I thought I would share one of my all-time favorite African songs in "Kilimandjaro My Home" by Eko. This hard-to-find gem was orginally featured as the title track to an album that Eko (full name Eko Roosevelt Louis)released during the seventies. The song, which successuly blends together elements of African funk, Afrobeat, and jazz has a unique and funky groove that is very powerful in its overall sound. Since hearing this song for the first time a few years back, I haven't been able to pin down the exact year it was released, however given it's sound and the little information I know, I believe it came out during the early to mid seventies. The song was also more recently featured on the third volume of the outstanding "Bilongo" compilation series that was reeased by Comet Records back in 2000. Overall, it's an amazing track that sits right there at the top, in my opinion, when it comes to great African funk songs. Enjoy!

Eko - Kilimandjaro My Home


Share on Facebook

1 comment:

the saucer people said...

This is pure afrofunk gold and exactly why I come to blogs like this; to discover the kind of records that chances are, I would never come across in my lifetime.

All kudos to American Athlete for sharing such an amazing track, I don't think I will ever get tired of listening to this....now to wait for an edit from somewhere ;)