Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Afrobeat Liberation

I was diggin' through some records I hadn't listen to for awhile last night and I came across the superb 2000 album Liberation Afro Beat Vol. 1 by the "new skool" Afrobeat group Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra (Sometimes simply known as Antibalas) and thought I would feature it today. Even though I generally enjoy all of Antibalas' releases, Liberation Afro Beat Vol. 1 is easily my favorite of the bunch. The album truly captures the fiery energy that Afrobeat originator Fela Kuti so easily generated with his brilliant music. The record features numerous gems including "Si, Se Puede", "Dirt and Blood", "Battle Of The Species", and "El Machete" among others. I don't see many copies of this record popping up in used bins these days, however if you do happen to come up apron a copy, I highly recommend snatching the up the LP. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. Enjoy!

Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra - El Machete


Share on Facebook

No comments: