Friday, July 31, 2009

A Cabana Kabbooga Loo

With the test pressing of Cabana Disco Vol.03 arriving in the mail earlier this week, I'm getting very excited about the record's upcoming early September release. As I've mentioned before, this twelve-inch will feature re-edits of D-R-U-M's "Lalabye", John Ozila's "Funky Boogie", and the edit that I'm featuring today, Kabbala's 1982 funky "Ashewo Ara" (re-titled "Kabbooga Loo. The third addition to the Cabana Disco Series definitely reflects, like the blog, my recent obsession for African-flavoured disco and I think the record consists three edits that compliment each other very nicely. I look forward to hearing everyone's feedback. I'll keep everyone posted on the exact release date in the coming weeks. Enjoy!

Kabbala - Ashewo Ara (Pat Les Stache Re-edit)


Share on Facebook

4 comments:

Mr. Smith said...

Hey Pat, first off I'd like to say great blog. I very much enjoy stopping by and having a read and a listen every couple of days.

Which version of this did you edit? I only have the original 12 that came out on Red Flame in 82. There is also the 'mix 88' version that came out in 1987 on INK Records which is the one that seems to go for big money. I haven't heard this version so if that is the tune you edited, my comments won't really be valid.

Compared with the version I own, the beginning of the edit certainly has a warmer feel to it. The bass is heavier, the drums are stronger and it will definitely be more DJ friendly. I think you did well to take out the guitar solo but not sure you should have left out the amazing piano and horn solos!

Overall I think the edit will have the same effect on the dancefloor as the original and I will definitely be buying the 12" when released, but I am undecided as to which version I will play out. Possibly the original, but I can see the John Ozila edit becoming a staple in my DJ sets once I own the record.

Keep em coming!

J

fpunk said...

How do you say funky!! I've enjoyed your blogs for months but have not posted a comment. I've enjoyed everything you have shared, but the contributions under your own name are magical.

Pat Les Stache said...

Hey Joe,

Thanks for the feedback. This song is edited from the 1982 original. I hear what you're saying about the horns. I love the horn solos as well, however I guess I thought I would kill most of the solo work and give it a more repetitive groove, therefore hopefully becoming a bit more friendly to the dancefloor. I always like horn solos, drum breaks and solos, etc. However from my experience it tends to lose people on the dancefloor. Maybe that's just my experience, however I'm glad you like the overall track. I'm definitely excited about getting this record out in a few weeks.

-TJ
aka Pat Les Stache

fritz the cat said...

lovely