Thursday, February 04, 2010

Jungle Funk

I'm still trying to recover from last night's re-launching of Grow Up. To say the party went off well, is probably a huge understatement with the dancefloor and club packed wall-to-wall right up until they basically kicked us out. Anyways, if you missed out, I highly recommend checking out the party next month. Thanks to residents Sick Face, Hotthobo, and Fenstar for having me play, as well as Loose Shus for putting on a great set. I had a lot of fun, and hopefully everyone who made it out, had a great time as well.

Now on to the music...

Here is one of the many brilliant tracks in Nkengas' s funky 1973 cut "Jungle Funk" from the Strut records' released compilation Club Africa. Being one of my favorite compilations of all-time, this now hard-to-find double-vinyl record was released back in 2000 and features some of the best African funk, Afro-beat, and African jazz that was ever created with a tracklist that includes funky gems like The Gaytones' version of "Soul Makossa", Buari's "Karam Bani", Mombasa's "Kenia", Oneness of Juju's "River Luv Rite" and many many more. Even though this record was released only about ten years ago, good luck trying to hunt down a copy of the compilation, as the record is almost becoming as rare as some of the originals that are actually featured on the compilation. I've only been able to hunt down a digital version of the record. Regardless, it's an amazing record and one that I'm sure I will be seeking out for, for a long time to come. Enjoy!

Nkengas - Jungle Funk


Share on Facebook

No comments: