Sunday, July 12, 2009

Steve Dahl Sucks

I was watching Television tonight, and ESPN was paying tribute to the infamous and in my opinion, lame "Disco Demolition Night" that took place before the second baseball game of a Chicago White Sox and Detroit Tigers double-header back on this date in 1979. The theme-night, that was focused around blowing up thousands of disco records in the middle of the baseball field, was put on by Chicago deejay Steve Dahl of album-oriented rock station WLUP.

So here on this blog that dedicates itself to disco music, I want to pay an anti-tribute to Steve Dahl and the "Disco Demolition Night". I heard that the only reason he wanted to do that themed-night is because his former radio station fired him because they wanted to change into an all disco radio-station (sounds good to me). Regardless, I think it's safe to say after looking back, disco music will forever be enjoyed and loved by many for years to come. It will continue to influence musicians, producers, deejays, and dance clubs for the remainder of time. I can't say that anything that Steve Dahl has done, outside of this tragically themed-night, will ever be remembered or held to be influential. All I can think of is, how many great records must have been destroyed that night because an ousted deejay wanting to make ridiculous spectacle. So to that, I have to say "Steve Dahl Sucks".

Finally, I have to say that I've noticed throughout the years, how many blogs have popped up that pay tribute to disco, I wonder how many blogs or websites there are out there that pay tribute to Steve Dahl...

Share on Facebook

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

We don't care, Chicago was always speaking about black&white, gay&straight community, and blablabla. This is the spirit of small people, unfortunately today you've a new frontier between disco & funk (hip hop), 60's and 70's collectors.
Don't make a second chance to bad "DJ" radio station, we just enjoy Mancuso, and a place called The Loft where the sexual revolution goes to what we call today music

Go Bang Brighton said...

Great anti tribute!

JR-VENEZUELA said...

DISCO NO DEAD

Anonymous said...

finally intelligent* punk anti disco never vomit on football area ...
New Order, hura !!!

* they needed a change but from music industry, not from smalls

mrmc007 said...

yes and living in Chicago I know just how much Steve Dahl and other non dancing individuals who just impose opinions (officious)just plain suck

Mr B said...

great post

Anonymous said...

I was 5 and I lived in Chicago at the time ... I remember growing up hearing his fat cranky voice on the radio .....way to cause a riot , prob many great records blown to bits .....UGH !!!

Unknown said...

I always thought the same, how many musical wonders were destroyed that day... I would have given my left one to plunder that pile before the mindless destruction ensued. So for the record... the Nazi's burned books and Chicago burned music.... nice... hope they are all proud of themselves

Unknown said...

I don't think the best records got burned. I - on one side - am really gratefull towards Steve Dahl. If disco stayed big, alot of OG records were all in the hands of big $$$ collectors for years now and probably would not play them, you could only get reissues. This music and it's underdog position makes me feel very special! So i salute Steve Dahl for the guy he is or was.

Anonymous said...

im with you 100% on your comments about Steve Dahl. It truly turns my stomach to see so many redneck idiots and non-music lovers in a record burning spectacle. It seems almost nazi-like. I salute thee sir American Athlete!

Joe Destruction said...

I know this post is almost a month old but I just wanted to say that it's rather inaccurate and lacking in historical context. Disco Demolition was not about the music as much as it was about what had become a very commercial, superficial, snobbish, and condescending scene (as a generalization) to those that weren't into it. If you were actually around to remember that era then you would know that there was a distinct contingent of people that were quite arrogant about being into the disco scene, and they were quite vocal about anyone that wasn't (again, if you were around to remember it.)

Also, Steve Dahl was not fired from WDAI he left because he knew he wouldn't fit in with the all-disco format. And Disco Demolition was not racist, homophobic or even hateful, it was just a party for rockers that got a little out of control. It certainly wasn't a riot since there was no fighting or violence beyond the obvious vandalism and craziness.

Think what you want about Steve Dahl but the truth is there if you want to take an actual objective look at the facts about both Steve and Disco Demolition Night. It wasn't what everyone has since over-analyzed it to be, it was just a rock & roll celebration that got a little crazy. And Steve Dahl is still well-remembered in the radio business since almost every radio show that is currently popular is a parody of his free-form comedy radio style.