Monday, October 26, 2009

Nicky Siano /Go Bang! - Re-cap & Recovery

I must say that I'm going to need almost a week just to recover from this weekend's double dose of great disco nights. First and foremost, was Nicky Siano's final San Francisco appearance which took place this past Friday at the Project One Gallery. I can now admit that I was a bit nervous because I've heard and seen on YouTube that he sometimes goes into a more acid house mix instead of playing many of the classic "Gallery-era" disco gems that made him the legendary deejay that he truly is. However, with that being said, this past Friday, Siano didn't disappoint with about 95 percent of his set made up of early to mid 70's disco classics including Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes's "Bad Luck", Eddie Kendrick's "Girl You Need A Change Of Mind", Lamont Dozier's "Going Back to My Roots", Dinosaur L's "Go Bang", numerous classics from Loleatta Holloway and many many more. Overall the thing that I most enjoyed was watching how much he got into each and every song, waving his hands in the air while singing and dancing along. Deejaying the way you should in my opinion. I danced for about three and a half hours until I basically couldn't even stand up anymore. Almost the entire time I kept thinking to myself, what if this was the early seventies and I spent every weekend at The Gallery listening and dancing to music like this. Those days must have been a lot of fun. If somebody can start working on that "time machine idea" again, I would much appreciate it...

If Friday wasn't enough for one weekend of dancing, I had to somehow turn around and recuperate for Saturday night's Go Bang! as I made my San Francisco deejay debut. I will let others critique how well I did (I of course thought it was one of my best sets ever), however I will say that I had one of the best times ever deejaying. People were dancing and just plain having a great time. I don't really want start comparing this early, however I felt like the crowd was more receptive to my set than any past set I've had in Seattle. I do understand it was just one night and Nicky Siano's set the night before really had inspired me to play a really good set. Thanks to Sergio, Stanley, and everyone who helped put on the Go Bang party, it was a lot of fun. Anyways, it's safe to say that I'm going to need a few days to recover after this weekend. San Francisco, it's good to call you home.

Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes - Bad Luck


Share on Facebook

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

First off , does Nicky play an all Laptop set ???? Looks like a controller for Ableton LIVE ?? Really >???? I wonder how the Vinyl purists think of this ??? Fuck it , if he played an awesome dancin set , that's all that matters right ? Also great to hear about your set @ GO BANG , those who go and put that show together really are disco heads who appreciate the music 110% !!! Ahhh those SF vibes !!!! CHEERS !!!

Mr. Smith said...

Where's his records!!!!!

RetroRuss said...

If it's cool for Nicky Siano to wear reading glasses when DJing then it must be cool for me too!!

Thurston Howell III said...

I danced for about three and a half hours until I basically couldn't even stand up anymore.

Les Stache, you need to get yourself in shape! 3.5 hours, and you're pooped? 3.5 hours would have been considered getting your limbs loose back in 1977!

Anonymous said...

Nicky sadly sold many of his records due to drug addiction. the way that a dj sequences music,mixes it and creates drama, emotion and feeling is the most important thing.....Nicky does all these things, pretty much invented the style of mixing (with records) that is used by everyone today. on belt driven decks no less, innovator.