Friday, September 05, 2008

Shoogie Wanna Boogie

One of my favorite records that I picked up over this past summer is David Mathews & Whirlwind's 1976 jazzy disco classic Shoogie Wanna Boogie. I heard of David Mathews (no, he's not the same guy that plays in that over-rated hippie jam band) through an older unreleased Rune Lindbæk re-edit, as well as his solid production work with jazz-funk artist Idris Muhammad. From that point I was excited to hear what else Mr. Mathews had in store. I must say after one listen of Shoogie Wanna Boogie, I was pretty blown away by entire record which features mostly disco and funk covers of popular known songs like "You Keep Me Hanging On", "California Dreaming", "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)" and "My Girl". The record has all of those signature elements that exist on most of the great records released by the Kudu label, great production and solid jazz-infuenced instrumentation over a disco-funk groove. In my opinion, this record is definitely a true masterpiece, especially if your one of those people like me who enjoy disco cover versions of popular known songs. I definitely look forward in the future to hunting down some more of this legendary producer's work, however for now I'll sit back and enjoy this rare and collectable treasure.

David Mathews - You Keep Me Hanging On

Share on Facebook

1 comment:

professor Eddy said...

Well, I don't know about this. It sounds a bit like that German guy, James Last.