Monday, July 07, 2008

No Nos Pararan

When it comes to late 70's latin-disco, you can't get much better than Charanga '76's classic album No Nos Pararan. On this record, Charanga '76 cover classic disco hits like McFadden & Whitehead's "Ain't No Stopping Us Now (No Nos Pararan)", both Chic's "My Forbidden Lover (Mi Amor Prohibido)" and "Good Times (Como Vamos A Gozar)", Sister Sledge's popular "We Are Family (Somos Familia)", as well as the solid original "C-U-B-A Is Cuba". I find that it becomes really refreshing to hear these more mainstream disco songs produced in a different light, especially since I've heard the originals a thousand and a half times in my lifetime. Charanga '76 producer Gonzalo Fernandez re-works the originals to have more latin feel by adding many different instruments as well as replacing the English lyrics for Spanish. The tracks do, however, maintain enough of familiar elements that anyone who is familiar with the original classics would still recognize the cover version. Regardless, the entire album is amazing, and many of the songs have made their way onto compilations including Dimitri From Paris's "Disco Forever" and Soul Jazz's New York Latin Hustle! records. This record does a perfect job in blending and bringing together classic mainstream disco and 70's latin dance music.

Charanga '76 - Somos Familia (We Are Family)
Charanga '76 - Mi Amor Prohibidor (My Forbidden Love)

Share on Facebook

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really into Latin disco lately, so these tracks fit in perfectly! I think 'Mi Amor Prohibido' is the best track of the album. It sounds really close to the original, except for the Spanish vocals of course. Although the voice of the lady sounds pretty similar to Alpha Anderson of Chic.

Billy said...

Charanga's covers of the classics are treats to hear out on the floor. good post.

jerome green said...

Hi TJ,

Excellent! Thanks for bringing more of these great tracks to our ears. For years I've been doing the "gimmicky" thing: playing "Ain't No Stopping Us Now" and then just as the second chorus is ready to hit, I slam in "No Nos Pararan." I think everyone has probably done this. The whole floor stops for just a second or 2, then they all either laugh scream or start singing along (a few people stand wondering what is happening; also a good thing). Then after half the song, I mix McFadden & Whitehead back in to the flow. I always say I'm not going to do it again, then I always do it again. Very gimmicky, but very fun; I really like the foreign versions of all the tracks. I appreciate all the stuff you are doing. Thanks.

Peace, Jerome