Wednesday, May 13, 2009

This Ain't Disco, But Sure Is Funky

I wouldn't really describe this Hugh Masekela track "Jungle Jim" as disco, however I would definitely suggest that the African-flavoured jazz cut is funky and has been a personal favorite of mine for quite sometime. That being said, I would also have to say that Masekela's 1974 album I Am Not Afraid, which the track is included on, is one of my favorite albums of all-time. The entire record nicely blends together funky Afro-beat and traditional African soul with the premiere horn playing of Masekela, resulting in a sound that was well ahead of it's time. This is definitely one of those crossover records that I see disco, funk, dub/reggae, and jazz lovers all enjoying. A great track and an even more brilliant record that definitely lends itself to the upcoming warmer months ahead. Enjoy!

Hugh Masekela - Jungle Jim


Share on Facebook

No comments: