Monday, February 07, 2011

A Gathering of African Rhythms

It probably couldn't be anymore fitting that the day I start my new job working for SFJAZZ, would be the same day that one of my favorite jazz artists in Randy Weston will be performing here in San Francisco. Tonight at the San Francisco Yoshi's, the legendary jazz pianist will be putting on a solo performance as well as discussing both his new album The Storyteller and his recently released autobiography African Rhythms. Last summer when I saw him perform during the Stanford Jazz Festival, I was absolutely blown away not just by the incredible performance that both he and the African Rhythms trio put on that night, but also by the priceless insight into African culture and jazz music that he shared with the audience. As I continue to read through his autobiography, I continue to be fascinated by this musicians life that took him from hanging out with jazz giants like Thelonious Monk and Max Roach to moving to Africa, playing occasionally with Fela Kuti and opening up a night club in Morocco. I've always enjoyed how Weston has continued to bring both jazz and African music together, focusing on the music's traditional roots and culture. Tonight, I look forward to opening my mind and taking in all the invaluable wisdom that this jazz legend will certainly share.

Randy Weston's African Rhythms - The Gathering



To Buy a Ticket to the Show Click Here.

Share on Facebook

No comments: